Government Announces $650 Million More For Indigenous Health, Economic And Social Support
The breakdown of funding announced May 29th by the Canadian Government is as follows:
• $285.1 million to support the ongoing public health response to COVID-19 in Indigenous communities.
• $270 million to supplement the On-Reserve Income Assistance Program to address increased demand on the program.
• $44.8 million over five years to build 12 new shelters, which will help protect and support Indigenous women and girls experiencing and fleeing violence.
• $40.8 million to support operational costs for these new shelters over the first five years and $10.2 million annually ongoing.
• $1 million a year ongoing, starting this year, to support engagement with Métis leaders and service providers on shelter provision and community-led violence prevention projects for Métis women, girls, and LGBTQ and two-spirit people.
For more information please see the Prime Minister’s full announcement here: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/05/29/prime-minister-announces-additional-funding-health-economic-and